Service Menu

    When can you make a claim for a broken shin?

    In all circumstances, you should consult a medical professional immediately after your injury to ascertain the nature and extent of your tibia fracture. Thereafter, you should consider consulting a personal injury specialist who will be best able to advise you of your case and its merits. The only proof that is needed prior to making your claim is that you have suffered your injury on the part of another’s negligence and that they are legally responsible for your suffering.

    Contact With Us For Your Personal Injury claims

    Scot Accident Claims Is Regarded At Scotland’s Leading Personal Injury Firm.

    What is a broken shin?

    The shin is the largest bone in the lower part of your leg between your knee and ankle. The medical term used to describe this bone is the tibia whilst its more slender partner is called the fibula. It is unsurprising that the tibia is one of the most commonly fractured bones in the body considering the extensive use of one’s legs daily. Bruising accompanied by intense pain are two of the main symptoms of a tibia fracture but medical assessment by a doctor is needed to confirm such an injury. Many daily activities induce this type of personal injury such as road traffic accidents, sporting accidents as well as any slips, trips or falls in public places. As such, if you have suffered a broken shin of which you can prove that another was negligent or legally responsible for your injury sustained then you might in fact have a claim for compensation.

    Types of broken shin:

    A broken shin is often referred to as a tibia fracture within the medical profession. A tibia fracture is not a single type injury as there are a number of different types of fractures that can occur such as hairline fractures, displaced fractures and spiral fractures to name a few. Each fracture therefore requires specific treatment and especially open or compound fractures where the bone is open through the skin thus needing surgical attention. Overall there are three broad categories of tibia fractures:

    1. Tibial Shaft Fractures: This type of fracture is the most common occurring between the knee and ankle joints. Often such fractures are treated in a long leg cast but if there is too much displacement then surgery will be sought to realign and secure the bones.
    2. Tibial Plateau Fractures: This type of fracture arises just below the knee joint and treatment therefore requires consideration of both the knee joint and its accompanying cartilage. This type of fracture can also lead to an early development of knee arthritis.
    3. Tibial Plafond Fractures: This type of fracture takes place at the bottom of the shin bone around the ankle joint. Such fractures also require careful consideration because of the ankle cartilage and can be concerning as a result of the surrounding soft tissue areas.

    Contact With Us For Your Personal Injury claims

    Our team of claim specialists are on hand throughout the working week to answer any questions or help you understand the claims process.

    How much compensation is possible?

    Like all personal injury claims, compensation for a tibia fracture is assessed on the severity of the injury itself as well as the pain and suffering endured as a result of the injury. The possible compensation owed to you can only be considered following a proper medical diagnosis of your injury as well as an expert report from an independent orthopaedic consultant. The details in this report coupled with your current and future loss of earnings as well as recovery time will help to determine the total sum available to you. However, compensation for a simple fracture can expect around £2,000 settlement whilst serious multiple fractures including disability and long-term pain can exceed £70,000 in damages. Nevertheless, it is important to seek legal advice since personal injury specialists will have knowledge of previous claims that would be useful in ascertaining the level of compensation likely to be given in your own case.


    How can I make a claim?

    You should consult a personal injury specialist as soon as is possible following your injury as they will have dealt with similar cases in the past and will be able to advise you of your position. At Scot Accident Claims, we have extensive expertise in all personal injury complaints therefore are always willing and available to advise clients as to their claim.


    Our Injury Solicitors In Glasgow & Scotland Have A Strong Record In Achieving Great Settlements For Our Clients. Read Some Of Our Testimonials Below.

    Bryan Jones


    Very efficient, professional service provided. Minimal fuss and clear communication. Highly recommend.

    Jason Hart


    Was in need of urgent advice and Greg was on hand and offered fantastic advice and recommendations.

    Ryan Johnston


    The team really tried their best to make sure I got the best settlement possible. Great communication and a very in depth knowledge of road traffic claims.